Weekly devotion | Luke 10:38-42

 

Weekly Devotion no 42
26 February 2021

Bible reading – Luke 10:38-42[1]

38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, ‘Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!’

41 ‘Martha, Martha,’ the Lord answered, ‘you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed – or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.’


[1] Scriptures taken from The Holy Bible , New International Reader’s Version copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

Reflection

You might be familiar with this story, even though it only appears in Luke’s gospel. Here we have two sisters who spend some time with Jesus.  As we see from elsewhere in the gospels, Jesus becomes very close to this family.

But in this first encounter, it is Martha who invites Jesus in. She is the eldest in the family and gives Jesus a warm welcome. She therefore feels responsible for ensuring that their guest is well cared for. Martha is the practical one – she’s someone who shows their love for people by doing things for them. You might have had friends or family like Martha – when you have been in need, they have done what needs to be done, be it the gardening, fixing things around the house, making meals for you, looking after your children or grandchildren.

And then there is Mary. The way she loves people is to sit with them, to listen, to be present in the moment. You may have had friends like Mary, who have journeyed alongside you through life’s ups and downs, not necessarily saying much, but being a comforting presence and a good listener.

Martha is frustrated that Mary isn’t helping her look after their guest. And like a normal sisterly spat, she looks to someone else to adjudicate! But Jesus doesn’t play along. Instead, he gently rebukes Martha. Not for the way that she shows love in a practical sense, but for her attitude in this specific situation. Mary had on some level recognised that the Son of God was present with them and wanted to soak up every part of this experience. In this situation, she was depending on Jesus, not on all the things that she could have been doing.

In this season of Lent, it is a good time to reflect on how we spend our time and in whom we place our dependence. It’s ok to do things, but we need to think about why we’re doing them. Are we depending on God or in our own strength? Is the clutter of our lives getting in the way of us hearing Jesus? Jesus is present with us – let us not lose the opportunity to spend time listening to him. 


Hymn

Verse 1

I heard the voice of Jesus say,

"Come unto me and rest;

lay down, thou weary one, lay down

thy head upon my breast."

I came to Jesus as I was,

weary, and worn, and sad;

I found in him a resting place,

and he has made me glad.

 

Verse 2

I heard the voice of Jesus say,

"Behold, I freely give

the living water; thirsty one,

stoop down and drink, and live."

I came to Jesus, and I drank

of that life-giving stream;

my thirst was quenched, my soul revived,

and now I live in him.

 

Verse 3

I heard the voice of Jesus say,

"I am this dark world's Light;

look unto me, thy morn shall rise,

and all thy day be bright."

I looked to Jesus and I found

in him my Star, my Sun;

and in that light of life I'll walk,

'til travelling days are done.


Horatius Bonar 1846 © Public Domain CCLI:69198      
 

Prayer

God of mercy, 
you are full of tenderness and compassion, 
slow to anger, rich in mercy, 
and always ready to forgive: 
grant us grace to renounce all evil and to cling to Christ, 
that in every way we may prove to be your loving children; 
through Jesus Christ our Lord, 
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit, 
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.


A Prayer Book for Australia 1995

Comments