Weekly devotion no 34

 

Weekly Devotion no 34
20 November 2020

Bible reading – Joel 3:17-21[1]

17 The Lord says,

“You will know that I am the Lord your God.
    I live in Zion.
    It is my holy mountain.
Jerusalem will be my holy city.
    People from other lands
    will never again attack it.
 

18 “At that time fresh wine will drip from the mountains.
    Milk will flow down from the hills.
    Water will run through all Judah’s valleys.
A fountain will flow out of my temple.
    It will water the places where acacia trees grow.
19 But Egypt will be deserted.
    Edom will become a dry and empty desert.
They did terrible harm to the people of Judah.
    My people were not guilty of doing anything wrong.
    But Egypt and Edom spilled their blood anyway.
20 My people will live in Judah and Jerusalem forever.
    The land will be their home for all time to come.
21 Egypt and Edom have spilled my people’s blood.
    Should I let them escape my judgment?
    No, I will not.”

The Lord dwells in Zion!


[1] Scriptures taken from The Holy Bible , New International Reader’s Version copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.


Reflection

The first part of Chapter 3 of Joel reminds God’s people that he will judge the nations for what they did to his people. By their actions they had not respected God. Ultimately, God will judge all people for how they respond to him.

But in today’s passage, we hear of the blessings that God gives to his people, those who trust in him and respect him. They need not fear the judgement because they know that God is sovereign. God promises restoration of the land, the land that was destroyed by the locust plague. And God also reminds his people that they do not need to judge the nations, that is in his hands. His actions have restored the honour of his name.

The passage ends with the statement ‘The Lord dwells in Zion’. This is the ultimate blessing: God’s renewed, restored and permanent presence with his people. And this reminds us as we read in John’s gospel that ‘the Word became flesh and dwelt among us.’[1] We will rediscover as advent starts next week that God coming to live amongst us as a baby showed the full extent of what he meant by dwelling with us.

This is what the future for all eternity looks like: God dwelling with us, his people.[2] God is not abstract or distant. He is present with us through all the struggles and joys of life. He will not leave us nor forsake us. This gives us hope, and enables us to sing his praises for ever and ever.



[1] John 1:14

[2] Revelation 21:3



Hymn

Verse 1

Amazing grace how sweet the sound 
That saved a wretch like me 
I once was lost but now am found 
Was blind but now I see

 

Verse 2

'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear 
And grace my fears relieved 
How precious did that grace appear 
The hour I first believed


Verse 3

Through many dangers toils and snares 
I have already come 
'Tis grace has brought me safe thus far 
And grace will lead me home

 

Verse 4

When we've been there ten thousand years 
Bright shining as the sun 
We've no less days to sing God's praise 
Than when we've first begun


CCLI Song # 2762836 John Newton © Words: 1779 CCLI:69198    

Prayer

Eternal God, 
you exalted Jesus Christ to rule over all things, 
and have made us instruments of his kingdom: 
by your Spirit empower us to love the unloved, 
and to minister to all in need, 
then at the last bring us to your eternal realm 
where we may be welcomed into your everlasting joy 
and may worship and adore you for ever; 
through Jesus Christ our Lord,< 
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit, 
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.



A Prayer Book for Australia 1995

Comments