Weekly devotion no 24

Weekly Devotion no 24
11 September 2020

Bible reading – Esther 5[1]

On the third day Esther put on her royal robes. She stood in the inner courtyard of the palace. It was in front of the king’s hall. The king was sitting on his royal throne in the hall. He was facing the entrance. He saw Queen Esther standing in the courtyard. He was pleased with her. So he reached out toward her the gold sceptre that was in his hand. Then Esther approached him. She touched the tip of the sceptre.

The king asked, “What is it, Queen Esther? What do you want? I’ll give it to you. I’ll even give you up to half of my kingdom.”

Esther replied, “King Xerxes, if it pleases you, come to a feast today. I’ve prepared it for you. Please have Haman come with you.”

“Bring Haman at once,” the king said to his servants. “Then we’ll do what Esther asks.”

So the king and Haman went to the feast Esther had prepared. As they were drinking wine, the king asked Esther the same question again. He said, “What do you want? I’ll give it to you. What do you want me to do for you? I’ll even give you up to half of my kingdom.”

Esther replied, “Here is what I want. Here is my appeal to you. I hope you will be pleased to give me what I want. And I hope you will be pleased to listen to my appeal. If you are, I’d like you and Haman to come tomorrow to the feast I’ll prepare for you. Then I’ll answer your question.”

That day Haman was happy. So he left the palace in a good mood. But then he saw Mordecai at the palace gate. He noticed that Mordecai didn’t stand up when he walked by. In fact, Mordecai didn’t have any respect for him at all. So he was very angry with him. 10 But Haman was able to control himself. He went on home.
Haman called together his friends and his wife Zeresh. 11 He bragged to them about how rich he was. He talked about how many sons he had. He spoke about all the ways the king had honoured him. He bragged about how the king had given him a high position. It was higher than the position of any of the other nobles and officials. 12 “And that’s not all,” Haman added. “I’m the only person Queen Esther invited to come with the king to the feast she gave. Now she has invited me along with the king tomorrow. 13 But even all of that doesn’t satisfy me. I won’t be satisfied as long as I see that Jew Mordecai sitting at the palace gate.”

14 Haman’s wife Zeresh and all his friends said to him, “Get a pole. In the morning, ask the king to have Mordecai put to death. Have the pole stuck through his body. Set it up at a place where it will be 75 feet above the ground. Everyone will be able to see it there. Then go to the feast with the king. Have a good time.” Haman was delighted with that suggestion. So he got the pole ready.


[1] Scriptures taken from The Holy Bible , New International Reader’s Version copyright © 1995, 1996, 1998, 2014 by Biblica, Inc.®. Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.


Reflection

After three days of praying and fasting, God gave Esther the courage to enter into the king’s presence to see if he found favour in her and would listen to her request. The king was pleased to see her, and so her life was safe, for now. He asks her what she wants. And here, she shows great wisdom. She knows that, if she were to ask for her people to be saved now, the king might not carry through with granting her request. So she makes him wait, building up his desire to please her.

Instead, she invites the king and Haman to a banquet. She knows how much they like to eat and drink! Once again, the king asks Esther what it is that she wants. And once again, in her wisdom she delays giving an answer to this question and invites the king and Haman to another banquet.

Haman was delighted with the attention he was getting from the queen. It boosted his ego and his sense of importance. He bragged about this to his family. He was special: he was being treated on a par with the king himself!

And yet, Haman was not satisfied. He saw Mordecai as he left the palace and was reminded of his hatred of Mordecai the Jew. Haman’s family and friends come up with a solution. Rather than wait for the date set aside for the killing of all the Jews, he should ask the king to have Mordecai put to death earlier. And so, Haman got a pole ready so that when the king granted his request, he could immediately put Mordecai to death. The height of the pole indicated that this would put Mordecai to shame as he died.

This story seems to be building up to be a prime example of pride coming before a fall!

Haman was proud. He was claiming supremacy in the kingdom. He was concerned about status and being honoured by the people around him. He thought too highly of himself and unfortunately his family and friends didn’t hold him to account. He failed to understand that leadership is about serving others.

The Apostle Paul warns us in his letter to the Romans: “Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgement, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you.”[1]

If we hear ourselves or others talking about ‘getting the respect (or honour) we deserve’ then be warned: downfall might not be far behind. So, our decision is: do we seek the wisdom that Esther was granted by God, or do we follow the foolish ways of Haman, seeking human approval by acting without integrity, humility or peace? May God grant us his wisdom that we might honour his name.




[1] Romans 12:3


Hymn

Verse 1
Abide with me: fast falls the eventide;
the darkness deepens; Lord, with me abide.
When other helpers fail and comforts flee,
Help of the helpless, O abide with me.

Verse 2
Swift to its close ebbs out life's little day;
earth's joys grow dim, its glories pass away.
Change and decay in all around I see.
O thou who changest not, abide with me.

Verse 3
I need thy presence every passing hour.
What but thy grace can foil the tempter's power?
Who like thyself my guide and stay can be?
Through cloud and sunshine, O abide with me.



Verse 4
I fear no foe with thee at hand to bless,
ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness.
Where is death's sting? Where, grave, thy victory?
I triumph still, if thou abide with me.

Verse 5

Hold thou thy cross before my closing eyes.
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies.
Heaven's morning breaks and earth's vain shadows flee;
in life and death, O Lord, abide with me. 

Henry Francis Lyte 1847 © Public Domain CCLI:69198     

Prayer

O God,
Without you we are not able to please you:
mercifully grant that your Holy Spirit
may in all things direct and rule our hearts;
Through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.


A Prayer Book for Australia 1995

Comments