Esther 4 | Opportunity




Esther 4 | Opportunity
 
- Study notes on Esther 3 based on Peter Adam's book Esther - for such a time as this in the Bible today series.

In Esther 4 we see a contrast to the self-serving plans of Haman and Xerxes in chapter 3. Esther and Mordecai work together, forming a plan that will hopefully save their people. However, there is no guarantee their plan will work. Esther is fully aware her life is at risk and that this plan may be thwarted at the first hurdle.

This is not uncommon for us as God's people. We have a plan and we ask God to help us in it, but is it the right plan, will it work? Mordecai challenges Esther to take a bold stand in verse 14 - "For if you remain silent at this time, relief and deliverance for the Jews will arise from another place, but you and your father’s family will perish. And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?” He is certain, it would seem, that God has a plan, and it may be that Esther is central to that plan. For Esther, a decision is made in trust, even without knowing all the details and unable, of course, to predict the future. It is time to take a risk.

How different is this to Haman and Xerxes' self confidence and assurance in their own plans? And yet, the counter-plan is a one based on love, the love for God's people to the point of the self-sacrifice of one's on life. "If I perish, I perish," says Esther. This chapter challenges us to serve God without knowing all the details, and to take risks on behalf of his people.


1. What have you learned from this chapter of Esther?

2. Do you trust God? Will you trust god? Do you love God's people? Will you love God's people?

3. Can you wholeheartedly echo these words: 'Better to serve God even if I fail, than to fail to serve God?'

4. Can you echo these words based on Esther's words, in your daily life at present: 'For such a time as this, I am willing to lay down my life?'

5. Here are two prayers: pray them for yourself, and then pray them for your church, using 'we', 'us', and 'our'.

 

A prayer for increasing faith:

Lord I believe: help my unbelief ad grow my faith. Please order my life: send me trials to prove the genuineness of my faith, and to produce perseverance, that I may be single-minded, and trust your gospel promises and your gospel plan. Please help me to grow in goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection and love. Please make me strong, firm and steadfast in following the Lord Jesus, in every part of my life and ministry. For your glory and in Christ's name. Amen.

Comments