Weekly devotion no 13

Weekly Devotion no 13
26 June 2020

Bible reading – Matthew 6:9-13

‘This, then, is how you should pray:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.”

Reflection - Give us today our daily bread

The fourth petition in the Lord’s prayer reminds us that we are physical beings with physical needs.

But notice that the prayer doesn’t ask for all the bread we can eat for ever. This petition focuses on our needs rather than our desires; provision for today rather than for the future; asking for just the right amount. Proverbs 30:8 says ‘give me neither poverty nor riches, but give me only my daily bread.’ The Israelites knew this only too well. When they were hungry and wandering in the desert, God gave them manna from heaven as food. They were not to keep any for the following day: God would provide for them daily. They had to trust him each day for this provision. Do we trust God each day for our needs?

There is another layer to this petition. Jesus later tells the disciples that he is the bread of life, that whoever eats of this bread will live forever and never go hungry. This bread is his flesh, which he would give for the life of the world.[1] So, this petition is therefore answered in Jesus and his death on the cross, which leads to eternal life for those who believe in him.

Physical bread can keep us alive until our earthly days are done. But Jesus, the bread of life, will sustain us for eternity. As we pray this petition, may we seek God’s daily sustenance for our physical and spiritual needs, knowing that it is only through God’s grace that both these needs can be met. And may we trust in him, that he will provide for us.




[1] John 6:51

Hymn

Verse 1
Guide me, O thou great Jehovah,
pilgrim through this barren land;
I am weak, but thou art mighty;
hold me with thy pow'rful hand;
Bread of heaven,
Bread of heaven,
feed me 'til my want is o’er,
feed me 'til my want is o’er.

Verse 2
Open now the crystal fountain,
whence the healing stream doth flow;
let the fire and cloudy pillar
lead me all my journey through;
strong Deliv'rer,
strong Deliv'rer,
be thou still my strength and shield,
be thou still my strength and shield.



Verse 3
When I tread the verge of Jordan,
bid my anxious fears subside;
Death of death, and hell's Destruction,
land me safe on Canaan's side;
songs of praises,
songs of praises
I will ever give to thee,
I will ever give to thee.

William Williams Tr Peter Williams © 1745 Public Domain CCLI:69198    

Prayer

Living God,
whose son Jesus fed the hungry
with the bread of his life
and the word of his kingdom:
renew your people with your heavenly grace,
and in all our weakness
sustain us with your true and living bread,
Jesus Christ our Lord;
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, now and for ever. Amen.

A Prayer Book for Australia 1995

Comments