Weekly devotion no 8

Weekly Devotion no 8
22 May 2020

Bible reading – Matthew 6:9-13

‘This, then, is how you should pray:

“Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
    on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
    as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
    but deliver us from the evil one.”

Reflection - How to Pray

We’ve looked at what prayer is and why we pray. Over the next few weeks, we’ll be considering how to pray and we’ll use the Lord’s Prayer to help us explore this.

The Lord’s Prayer is very familiar to most of us. You might have been taught it by your parents when you were very little, or you might have learnt it at school or Sunday school. It’s often a prayer that we rely on when we can’t think of anything else to pray and, as we’ll see over the next few weeks, that’s no bad thing!

Have you ever noticed that the prayer seems to be in two halves? Verses 9-10 focus on God and verses 11-13 focus on ourselves and how we might treat others. They seem to parallel the things that Jesus taught his disciples were the most important:

“Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.” This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbour as yourself.” Matthew 22:37-39

So, loving God and loving our neighbour is important in how we live, but also in how we pray.

The other thing that is interesting in the Lord’s Prayer is, that whilst Jesus is not directly mentioned in it, as we will see in coming weeks, Jesus embodies this prayer. He teaches us to pray, but he also lives this prayer and so the prayer enables us to glorify the Father through the Son.

Hymn

Verse 1
How sweet the name of Jesus sounds
In a believer's ear
It soothes his sorrows, heals his wounds,
And drives away his fear.

Verse 2
It makes the wounded spirit whole,
And calms the troubled breast;
'Tis manna to the hungry soul,
And to the weary rest.

Verse 3
Dear Name! the rock on which I build,
My shield and hiding place,
My never failing treasury, filled
with boundless stores of grace.


Verse 4
Jesus, my Shepherd, Husband, Friend,
my Prophet, Priest and King,
My Lord, my life, my Way, my End
Accept the praise I bring.

Verse 5
Weak is the effort of my heart,
And cold my warmest thought;
But when I see Thee as Thou art,
I'll praise Thee as I ought.

Verse 6
Till then I would Thy love proclaim
With every fleeting breath;
And may the music of Thy Name
Refresh my soul in death.


John Newton © 1779 Public Domain CCLI:69198    

Prayer

O Thou,
By whom we come to God,
The Life, the Truth, the Way;
The path of prayer Thyself hath trod;
Lord, teach us how to pray. Amen

James Montgomery: Prayer is the soul's desire

Comments