Weekly devotion no 6

Weekly Devotion no 6
8 May 2020

Bible reading – Revelation 3:20

Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with that person, and they with me.

Reflection - What is prayer?

This week, we’re starting a new series thinking about prayer. We’ll look at what prayer is, why we pray, and how to pray.

When we were little, and maybe throughout our life, we might have thought of prayer as asking God for things or speaking to God in times of need. We might have asked God to bless our family and friends, to heal those we love who have been sick, or to provide for our material needs. We might, even now, be asking God to keep people we know safe from COVID19. Or we might be finding it hard to speak to God because we are anxious about things and don’t know how to approach him.

As Christians, we have a relationship with Jesus. He is our Lord and Saviour and his Father is our Father. Our relationship with Jesus was initiated by him – by God’s grace he has sought us out. And, as we see in this verse from Revelation, he wants to spend time with us. He is there. He is standing at the door, knocking. He is speaking to us. He wants to engage with us. More than that, he wants to eat with us – sharing a most intimate interaction over a meal. And all we have to do is open the door and let him in.

The door is a metaphor for our heart. And it is through prayer that we let Christ into our heart, to spend this intimate time with him, to ‘eat’ with him. It has been said that prayer is the breath of our soul. It is the essence of our relationship with Jesus. Prayer is what enables us to commune with Christ at the deepest level, and it is initiated by him, not by us.

Prayer is deeper than words: it is the attitude of our heart and mind, an attitude that directs our hearts towards God.

Jesus wants to be with you. Will you open the door and let him in?

Hymn

Verse 1
What a friend we have in Jesus
All our sins and griefs to bear
What a privilege to carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer
O what peace we often forfeit
O what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer

Verse 2
Have we trials and temptations
Is there trouble anywhere
We should never be discouraged
Take it to the Lord in prayer
O what peace we often forfeit
O what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry
Ev'rything to God in prayer


Verse 3
Are we weak and heavy laden
Cumbered with a load of care
Precious Saviour still our refuge
Take it to the Lord in prayer
O what peace we often forfeit
O what needless pain we bear
All because we do not carry

Ev'rything to God in prayer

Joseph Medlicott Scriven © 1855 Public Domain CCLI:69198      

Prayer

Lord Jesus,
you are all I want and I find in you more than I could possibly need.
Lord, though I know this now and swear that I will never leave you,
yet I realise I will go searching after other things
in order to fulfil my never-ending wants and desires.
Fountain of everlasting life, spring up in my heart and satisfy all my needs
so that I will never wish to leave you again. Amen.


It’s me O Lord! Michael Hollings & Etta Gullick