Starting with Proverbs



Starting with Proverbs
- Mike Flynn (Vicar)

When I was ordained as a Deacon, I was given a small book that contained the New Testament, the Psalms and the book of Proverbs. It was a book that many Christians used to carry with them where ever they went and it was given to the newly ordained to use on pastoral visits in their ministry. The New Testament was to remind us of the greatest revelation of God in Jesus. The Psalms were to teach us how to pray in every circumstance. The book of Proverbs was to teach us how to live in a beautiful but often uncertain world.

If you are looking for a devotional practice and reading to guide you during our time of social isolation then this simple combination has been found to be very useful by many who have gone before us.
______________________________________________________________________________

The Spanish poet and novelist Cervantes, wrote in 1605: “Proverbs are short sentences drawn from long experience.”

Q: How could this help us understand the strength and limitations of wisdom writings like the book of Proverbs.

Below is an imagined obituary of a life lived based on the book of Proverbs. It was written as a summary of the message of Proverbs.

“I lived with a listening heart, attentive to God’s wisdom all around and within me. With my attention on Divine Wisdom, I was able largely to close my ears to the influence of foolish people and my own unruly appetites. I was faithful to my spouse and controlled my appetites for food and drink. I was industrious, controlled my temper and curbed my unruly tongue. While I came to realise that life contains a measure of mystery and that God is ultimately in control of things, I focused on those areas of life where, by making wise choices, I could usually ensure auspicious outcomes. I ordered my life so that I knew a measure of peace of mind and worked for harmony in my community. While I respected the poor as those whom God created and loves, I worked to ensure that I would not share their lot. As a result, I secured a reputation for integrity and prudence among my peers.”
- Alyce McKenzie 2002

Q: How well do you think this summarises the message of Proverbs?

Proverbs - Why?
For gaining wisdom and instruction in how to understand other people and events in our world. To learn how to behave successfully in different circumstances. To learn how to do what is right and fair. This is for the simple, they can learn. This is for the young, so they can develop good patterns for life. This is for the wise and those who are looking for guidance on how to live life and make important decisions.

Proverbs - How?
I am not teaching systematically through a chapter at a time but picking up themes in the book. I have attempted to keep some of the context of the readings I have chosen from throughout the book but I have chosen the readings as examples of how particular teaching themes are developed in Proverbs.

Proverbs - Who? 
Of Solomon? A collection in his name, or part of his collection, later supplemented.
Theology - It is an orderly world made by a wise creator. Knowledge of the world’s creative, varied and sometime contradictory wisdom is accessible to human beings. That the wise who align themselves to God’s wisdom in the world are more likely to experience good things while fools will suffer even in their success. These Proverbs are not just secular wisdom.

Proverbs - What?
Over the coming weeks we will be considering:
Character, Emotion, Addiction, Wealth, Words, Work, Friendship, Family and Foolishness