Gun laws and prayer



Gun Laws and prayer

(by Michael Flynn - Vicar)





Like many Australians, I struggle to understand why there are more guns in America than people. None of us understand the continual carnage caused by open access to military grade weapons or the double-speak used to defend a constitutional amendment that served a time when an amateur volunteer army was needed to secure freedom from Colonial power. For our time when America has the largest and most well funded professional military in history, when personal weapons have the ability to inflict mass casualties, the second amendment seems more prone to attack the people it was originally designed to protect.


This is why we do not understand the phrase: 'Our thoughts and prayers and with you' without action to stop the horror. After all, St. James wrote: "What good is it, my brothers, if a man claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save him? Suppose a brother or sister is without clothes and daily food. If one of you says to him, Go, I wish you well; keep warm and well fed," but does nothing about his physical needs, what good is it? In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead. But someone will say, "you have faith; I have deeds." Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by what I do.'


Dearest brilliant, turbulent, gifted, graced, beautiful and horrifying America; our thoughts and prayers for you are that you will act. The many prayers prayed require it.



Comments